If you're new to our blog, and would like to start from the moment I learned I was having triplets, click HERE :)
Posts about Colton's Cleft Lip and Palate surgeries as well as the Triplets' Cranial Bands are along the sidebar.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Maybe



Happy May 1st my friends. I'm baaaaack. I have once again agreed to a 'Blog-a-day' in May. Why? I don't know. Because I'm crazy, because I like the challenge, because I like that it forces me to record the funny stuff that goes on in our world, and because I know how much I like it when all of YOUR blogs update daily! So fair is fair. Day 1.

Not that I always follow the theme, but this months Nablopomo (National Blog Posting Month) theme is MAYBE.



You can pretty much take this theme anywhere you want...Hmmm...MAYBE just maybe I'll incorporate the theme. And then again, MAYBE not.

Let's begin with some things that just MAY happen this month...

Maybe Ethan will learn a few more words...

Maybe Colton will learn some patience...

Maybe Hunter will start potty training...

Maybe I'll actually get twin beds...

Maybe I'll finally get all the baby boy clothes out of the house...

Maybe I'll actually get our carpets cleaned...

Maybe Brian will turn the sprinkler system back on so my grass will once again resemble, well, grass.

Maybe we'll pain the living room!

What are YOUR maybes for the month?


Now moving on, let me tell you about some things that are MAYking me happy right now (or are at least making me smile. )

1. "H-U-N-T-E-R". I put it in quotes because that's exactly what it is. From the mouth of my 2 year old girl. She can freaking spell her name. She's two. She can also count to 10 and knows by sight at least half of the letters IN her name. I'm not joking. I think the reason I'm partly impressed with this skill is that we have really only shown her the letters in her name a handful of times. This girl's got a memory that puts most to shame. She spells her name everywhere she goes...at the dinner table, in the playroom, in the bathtub (I wrote it out for her with tub crayons). It's the cutest thing ever. (Now before you go getting all annoyed with my bragging, let me remind you that the boys pick their noses and eat their boogers. And they hardly talk at all. :) So anyhoo...good job Hunter. Clearly, she takes after her mother.

2. Blog books. I'm so thankful to all the people who contributed to my blog book fund for my birthday. I actually think I have enough to print the next 2 volumes bringing my total blog book library to 3 so far. I got them all ready last week and all I have to do is go back and purchase! I may have only filled out my kids' baby books through their 2nd month of life, but by God, I've got day to day accounts of our lives from the moment they were conceived. THAT is cool. The day the blog books come in the mail is by far one of my favorite days! If you are unfamiliar with what the heck I'm talking about, check out one of my earlier posts about Blog2print.com. I even got to do a little TV news story to tell the world how much I love it! So beginner bloggers, take note. The only thing cooler than having a blog is having it printed into a hard-bound book!

3. Stupid Comments. You've all heard them. If you have triplets, you've heard even more of them. Honest to God, they make my day! I will not be so rude as to say that the people who utter these things are stupid, just the comments. I mean heaven knows I've said some pretty lame things from time to time. But here's the deal- Brian and I have often said we should write a book about the most un-intelligent things people have said to us, when I was pregnant and with actual kids in tow. Today we took a little trip to Old Navy and then ended up feeling generous, like we should let our kids go play in the giant gerbil cage for kids (the mall play-land). Prior to arriving at this decision, I suggested that we just put the quad stroller back in the 'Burb' and just walk with the kids through the mall. I did so for a couple reasons. (One-)it melts my heart that our whole family holds hands and walks. For real, all five of us and (Two)-I actually look forward to the the comments people make when they see us.

Today's comment roundup included (3 separate times, mind you) "Are they twins?" Really? Really people? This one baffles me the most. You can see my 3 kids who are the exact same height holding hands, a yet still you assume that the boys are twins and we couldn't wait to hop on the baby-making bandwagon again so that we could have a girl who is, well the exact same age? Honestly, I just can't figure this scenario out. It happens SO often. Is it just that people are not used to seeing triplets so they assume that there's no way they could be? Or is it most likely that people see my svelte figure and assume there's no way this tiny body housed 3 humans at once?? Yeah...that must be it. :)

Either way, Brian and I are usually very cordial to people who make comments about our kids. Yes, EVEN the ones who make the ridiculous comments. But today, well, something in me snapped. Picture this if you will-Walking, hand-in-hand-in-hand-in-hand-in hand are Colton, me, Ethan, Hunter, Brian. Through the mall we go, past kiosk after kiosk. Now, I don't know if your malls are as annoying as mine what with people trying to stop you to ask if you want to try some lotion, whiten your teeth, have your hair curled, try out a new cellphone, etc. Well today, in our trek to the play-land, we walked along, minding our own business, as some young girl at the 'Mineral Makeup' kiosk tries to stop me to ask if I want to try on some of their makeup. I should've said 'No thanks' like I always do, and just kept walking, but like I said, something in me snapped. Instead, I looked at her like a crazed mother holding 3 toddlers' hands, and said, "Really? Does it look like I have a free hand here?" Luckily the verbal diarrhea ended there. I could've kept going. But I didn't. She quickly realized the ridiculousness of her question and that was that. As we got a few feet away, Brian looked at me and pretty much awarded me the "Honey, you ROCK!" award! (You see, usually it is he who gets snarky with people.) Now, don't misunderstand me-by no means am I trying to be a wise-ass or act proud of myself for telling this girl off. It's just that sometimes, enough is enough and if you're going to try and sell makeup to people walking by, at least use SOME common sense when you choose your targets.

(Side note-this is what happens when the adults talk to people they see in the mall for too long. Kids get bored. So yes. This was our cue to get home!)


4. Nineteen. That's how many days are left of the school year. (Which is always bittersweet.) It's hard to let go of kids you've come to know and love, but it's exciting to see them move on in the world. We give them their kindergarten wings and then let em go and watch them fly. Nowadays, I look forward to the end of the school year because it means summer break and me spending all day, every day with my family. If we could afford for me to be a stay-at-home-mom, I'd do it. But for now, I'm grateful that my mom babysits them every day, for the price of hugs and kisses, and allows me to work half time and be home half time.

5. Bedspreads. They're HERE! I was totally cursing the person who rang the doorbell in the middle of nap time causing Piper to bark like a crazy dog threatening to ruin my 3 hours of 'me time' until I realized it was the UPS man bringing me presents! Yahooo! I love the comforters even more in person! It almost makes me want to put the kids in twin beds tomorrow. Almost. :) But not quite.

Okay people...that's all she wrote!...welcome to May!

Tell me what your MAYbes for the month are and if you feel so inclined, share some of the best comments you've heard from people....


7 comments:

Samantha said...

Hahaha! We ALWAYS get asked if my boys are twins. I think it's because they are identical, but my daughter is the same height as them too.

Mary said...

Maybe we'll pick a name for our baby girl...
Maybe we'll pick a nursery theme...

Dad/Grampy Sam said...

MAYBE there are young children in this world who have a more spectacular mother than the Bunchkins have, but I doubt it.

Ami said...

Ooh! Good maybes everyone! Mary, I cannot wait for both! Dad, aww...thanks. Samantha, what is it with people? We'll call it the triplet/twin phenomenon!

Shannon K. said...

I actually get asked (pretty regularly) if mine are twins. Now COME ON! 18 months apart, people.

Your dad is awesome ;)

amoryg said...

YAY! Love your first post and love the theme even more. Such a perfect theme for a momma, and a momma of three for that. ;)

Thank you for allowing me to blog-a-day with you in May!

Ann Brosnan said...

Hey, did you know that your "This was the answer to my blogging prayers!" comment is on the blog2print homepage!?

Will contributing to your blog2print fund guarantee me ANOTHER blog-a-day month? If so, I'll SOO buy you one! That's how much I just LOVE reading about those Bunchkins!

Related Posts with Thumbnails