If you're new to our blog, and would like to start from the moment I learned I was having triplets, click HERE :)
Posts about Colton's Cleft Lip and Palate surgeries as well as the Triplets' Cranial Bands are along the sidebar.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Library Credit Cards

All right. Even I am sick of looking at my Flight Attendant photos.  :)

So let's move on to one thing that gives me a good laugh every time-Colton and his pointy eyebrows. When he was just a baby, and was particularly interested or excited about something, his little eyebrows would raise up and instant smiles would follow! Needless to say, it still works.  All I have to do is say, "Hey, Colton, eyebrows??" And he does this. (See below!) Which, for the record doesn't have the same effect as it does in 'real life.' 

How will I break it to Hunter that hers just don't work quite like Colton's..

 She's trying so hard.


 And now she's certain they are 'just like Colton's.'
Almost, pretty girl.


Anyhoo, being that it's summer vacation, we are trying to keep the kids busy and entertained. God love the littles who've endured an entire week and a half's worth of running around our classrooms as we moved all of our stuff--No wait, let me write that again, with more proper emphasis- "as we moved ALL. OUR. FREAKING. CRAP. STUFF out of one building and into another. Kindergarten teachers are professional collectors, you know. This is because everything can be used for something....  :)

Anyhoo, they earned a proper outing.

So off to the library for family story time we went. Mary has taken my niece, Brinley, to these before and always raves about what fun it is. My immediate thoughts were "It's never as fun with three as it is with one," but I agreed to go anyway.



It was a day that started off a little more rushed than I would've liked and as such patience was thinner (mine) than normal. Colton's use of the word, "NO" was flowing freely and I was already on edge before we even got out of the car.





Looking back at these photos was actually really good for me. You see, on this particular day, as I sat there, I was feeling (and this almost never happens) jealous of the parents with just one child, or one older and one younger. The way they could just sit back and watch...

Colton has this 'thing' he does (that I realize many kids do) that is really, really unnerving. When he's mad or disagrees, he yells, "NO" or "I DON'T!" Lately, it has just gotten to be like nails on a chalkboard. We are working hard to correct this behavior, but it was in FULL FORCE on this occasion. I now can see that my frustration with that left me feeling annoyed, overwhelmed and stressed out at the time, and that amplified everything going on in these moments.



I'm pretty sure I walked out of there feeling like my kids were crazy and out of control, but as I looked back, I realized they were totally active participants. 

Ethan does have a harder time sitting still when he's supposed to and that's something we're working on, and Colton can disapprove with the best of them (ie the ridiculous use of the word 'NO'). But overall, I now realize they were actually pretty darn good. 

They danced when they were supposed to dance.




They listened when they were supposed to listen. (For the most part. But again, they were not among the crowd of kids swarming the librarian, so hey, that's something!) 


They grabbed shakers when it was time to grab shakers.













And they even put their shakers away when it was time. Without a fuss. 


They did the beanbag dance when it was time.


And so did I.   :)





And they went to get stamps on their little chicken wings when it was all over! 






When it was done, the girls drew pictures for Father's Day and the boys stapled approximately 3,214 coupon booklets for their dad. (The staplers were ALL out of staples, by the way.)






So anyhoo, even though, like I said, it FELT like a total disaster of a day, I, being the glutton for punishment that I am, chose to then take the kids INTO the actual library. Though it's a different library, I still remember vividly going the library with my mom and sister as a kid. I remember the short tables, the low shelves and it's just generally a memory I think back on, fondly.

So especially in this day of technology and iPads,  Kindles and Nooks, and digital EVERYthings...I really wanted my kids to be able to experience a REAL LIFE LIBRARY, where the books are tangible and you practice social etiquette and library manners.

Our first time was not perfect by any means,
(Don't forget I was still feeling frazzled at this point) but it wasn't bad. As usual, I was eternally grateful that my sister, Mary was along to keep track of 2 of my kids while I filled out paperwork for their library cards.

In the end, each of the kids got his or her very own library card and then helped select 2 new books each to take home and add to our nighttime reading routine.

But the best part for the kids was the 'self-check' table. One at a time, each child got to scan his card,  push their 4 digit pin numbers on the screen,  scan the bar codes on the books and then pull out the printed receipt/due date reminder!

Ethan went first.  

Then Hunter, 


And then Colton!

My 'babies' with their very first library cards. 
(Though Hunter translated 'library card' into 'credit card'  so if you ask her, she WILL tell you it's her library credit card.)  :) Who am I to argue? 


We've read all of our books already so we're heading back here in the morning to find 6 new books! Cross your fingers...

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Yay for a new blog post!! I love all the pictures from your adventure at the library :) And of course it's a credit card, Hunter is one wise little girl ;)

The Chilly Dog said...

Oh... Story time at the library. That brings back some happy memories. Although I'm sure it is quite a different experience with three instead of one. Still, enjoy these fun times. Before you know it, you will be taking your kids in to the library at a university on their first college campus visit. It's a whole new world :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, hurray for a new post! Though I never did get tired of your pretty face every time I checked the blog ;) I'm a new reader and this is only my second time commenting (I did the last comment on your last post- I am so sorry if that sounded rude, I read over it a few days later and felt so bad...) I've spent the past month reading your blog from the VERY beginning...what an inspiring story. One thing: I believe I may have missed it, but I'm dying to know if Mary is expecting a boy or girl! Unless she wants to keep it a secret, which I respect :) Besides that, I love this post! Your kids have gotten SO BIG since the weekly belly pics and the scary-little-bitty babies at the beginning of your story. Hunter's braid looks so cute, I have to say! I'm so bad at braiding hair, I usually go with a ponytail :) Don't you love how kids pick up everything- library credit cards? Love it. :) Sorry this is so long... I'm a rambler. I love reading this (Hope that's not stalker-ish!) Don't worry I won't comment much, I just wanted to say this.

Unknown said...

This is a great article, Thanks for giving me this informatio n. Keep posting. airline miles credit card

Jaimie Knudson at Kinderworldway.blogspot.com said...

Hi Ami!!!
I am soooooo excited I found your blog! Honestly, I just spent the last 5 hours reading everything!!!!!!
We have so much in common!
First, I am currently pregnant with triplets (and your blog is a life savor!!). Your blog is so REFRESHING and helpful! You are so fun and positive and real! Thank you for that!
2. I am a kindergarten teacher and my husband is a police officer.
3. I live in San Diego and you love to visit San Diego!
4. I love Chai Tea from Starbucks and red wine!
I don't usually respond to blogs but I really felt compelled to write you this little comment.

I have a blog called kinderworld for my classroom but I am starting another one as a "journal" with my triplets. I would LOVE to stay connected with you!
Thank you again for all the great advice, time and energy you put into your blog! It's amazing!
Jaimie Knudson
kinderworldway.blogspot.com
My email is jne3@cox.net

cheap runescape gold said...

Yay to get a fresh blog post!! I like all the photographs from the venture with the library :) And naturally it's really a charge card, Seeker is one wise litttle lady ;)buy rs gold

Related Posts with Thumbnails